Re: An 'ae' testimony

virtanen writes:
> For a user, who knows about unix and/or linux any of well-known unix
> editor will do, but for a new user, who knows only about
> dos/windows7related products vi, emacs, joe, ae... are all the same
> 'Chinese'?

Many new users have heard that vi is the Linux editor and therefor type
'vi' when faced with the need for an editor.  If that fails he may try
'edit'.  If that fails also, what do you expect him to do?  Why would he
type 'ae' or 'ee'?  What would lead himn to expect those to exist and be
editors?

When I first started using Linux I had been using Unix for years, but I had
never heard of 'ae'.  I hadn't heard of 'ee' before you mentioned it.  It
doesn't matter what small editor goes on the rescue floppy, but it must be
linked to 'vi' and 'edit'.  Print a warning banner if you think people will
be confused.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)