playmidi and sb16pnp synth (works!!)

I really gave up months ago getting the fm synth on my Creative Labs
ViBRA16X PnP sound card working.  A while ago I got the debian source
package for playmidi_2.3-22 to find the *.o3 and *.sb patches, but never
could figure anything out.
I just happened to tinker around a bit with the source package yesterday
and found that it made a /etc/playmidi directory which I did not have
before.  So I made a package of it and installed it.  And the result ?
Still no fm synth sound.  So I checked it out.
In /etc/playmidi:  Only one empty playmidi.conf file.  ???
Fortunately I had the copies of *.o3 and *.sb in /etc from my earlier
tries and moved them to /etc/playmidi - and voila:  playmidi *.mid now
worked!
I still cannot figure out what happened to the *.o3 and *.sb patches in
/etc/playmidi.  I've tried to dpkg -r playmidi and making sure there is no
/etc/playmidi or *.o3 and *.sb patches, then reinstalling playmidi, but
*.o3 and *.sb still does not get installed.  I've checked the *.deb and
they are there.  Only preinst seems to have some reference to the files,
but seemingly none that would do anything to prevent them from being
installed.
Any ideas ??

Also, does anyone have any ideas on using the *.o3 patches by using
playmidi -4 or *.sb with playmidi -f is better with the soundcard I'm
using ?
Are there any tools to modify the patches or creating new ones ?

Thanks in advance

Roy

#### Unsolicited commercial email with be billed at $350/message ####
Roy Larsen, royal@nospam.bellsouth.net
To send me an email remove the `nospam.' part from the address.