Re: Basic SCSI question

:-> "Randy" == Randy Edwards <redwards@golgotha.net> writes:

    >    I don't have any experience with Linux and SCSI drives and
    > was wondering if
    > someone could give me some basic-level/newbie pointers on SCSI setup.

    >    The computer has an AdvanSys card in it and I've recompiled
    > the kernel with
    > advansys, generic SCSI, and SCSI CD-ROM support.  This seems
    > okay as dmesg
    > reports:

Did you add also SCSI DISK support, didn't you?

    > Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0

detected, ok, but what about support ?

    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    >   Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130D      Rev: DC1B
    >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

is this the correct hardware you ahve in your machine ?

    > brw-rw----   1 root     disk       8,   0 May 18 22:59 sda
    > brw-rw----   1 root     disk      11,   0 May 18 22:59 scd0

you shoud have some /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 etc for the partitions, too

    >    If I try to do an "fdisk /dev/sda" I get a message of "Unable to read
    > /dev/sda" along with:
    > May 19 06:13:21 spartacus kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun
    > 0 return code = 25040000
    > May 19 06:13:21 spartacus kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0

    >   Similarly, a command of "mount /dev/scd0 /mnt" gives this info in
    > /var/log/messages:
    > May 19 06:13:21 spartacus kernel: SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun
    > 0 return code = 25040000
    > May 19 06:13:21 spartacus kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    > May 19 06:15:35 spartacus kernel: sr00:00: old sense key None
    > May 19 06:15:49 spartacus kernel: Non-extended sense class 0 code 0x0 <3>sr0:
    > CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00
    > May 19 06:15:49 spartacus kernel: sr00:00: old sense key None
    > May 19 06:15:49 spartacus kernel: Non-extended sense class 0 code 0x0
    > <6>cdrom: open failed.
    > May 19 06:15:59 spartacus kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
    > 55, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00 00 00 00 00
    > May 19 06:15:59 spartacus kernel: SCSI error: host 0 id 2 lun 0 return code =
    > 25040000
    > May 19 06:15:59 spartacus kernel: ^ISense class 0, sense error 0, extended
    > sense 0
    > May 19 06:16:09 spartacus kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
    > 56, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > May 19 06:16:09 spartacus kernel: SCSI error: host 0 id 2 lun 0 return code =
    > 25040000
    > May 19 06:16:09 spartacus kernel: ^ISense class 0, sense error 0, extended
    > sense 0

I see that you have the cdrom as id 2 and the disk as id 6. If you
intend to boot from that hard disk you should set it's id to 0 (unless
your scsi adapter has a configurable boot device, which on cheaper
cards it couldn't be the case...).

Also check that:

1) the hard disk is on the first connector next to the adapter card.
  (this really is not required but eliminates some error possibilities
  because that's the way it works for me :-)

2) the cdrom is on the last connector on the strip. This is
   important. If your strip has more than 2 connectors, the LAST ONE
   must be occupied, possibly leaving some empty ones in the
   middle. The empty ones in the middle don't hurt.

3) The hard disk MUST NOT be terminated (there's a little series of
   jumpers on the hd, check for the one that has a mark as "TE" or
   "TERM" - better yet, check on the instruction manual that I hope
   your dealer gave you)

4) THe cdrom MUST BE terminated (again, a small jumper on the back of
   the device, better if you check the manual because usually there
   are 6 or 7 jumpers all together and it may be confusing figuring
   out the right one)

5) Check that both devices support parity check (there are jumpers for
   this too), and that parity is set up to be used in the adapter's set-up

6) Set adapter's speed to auto-sense so that you don't have to mess
   with 20 MB/s or fast buses or the like :-)

    >    Any advice, RTFM pointers, or tips would be appreciated.  I'm guessing I
    > don't have the devices set up properly, but perusing docs and howtos didn't
    > turn up anything.  Thanks in advance.

Hope this is enough :-)

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci  | mailto:p.caci@flashnet.it - http://gusp.infogroup.it
       ik5pvx        |         http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.2.9 #1 Sat May 15 10:10:38 CEST 1999 i586 unknown