Re: NIS and /etc/group

Take a look at /var/yp/Makefile on your NIS server. There's a variable in there:

MINGID=???

Which defines the group id below which entries will be ignored. The dialout group is
20 and this is probably lower than the MINGID in /var/yp/Makefile. You can change
MINGID and re-make or create a new group (above MINGID) and assign this group to all
the dialout devices on all the machines.