Re[2]: Separate list for newbies

"David B.Teague" <dbt@cs.wcu.edu> wrote:

> It ISN'T just newbies who have questions, none of us know every bright
> corner of Debian, let alone the dark ones. ;)

Yes.

This question of a newbie list comes up with dismal regularity, and it is no
more a good idea now than when first spawned by someone's impatience at not
getting enough attention.

As for the volume of the list my solution is simple: I archive in gz files
every single post to the list, and I have over a year's worth of such
archives. There's nothing new under the sun and chances are I am not the first
person to ask a question. This is something simple anyone could do, unless
they are on a system where their disk space is severely curtailed, such as at
a school, etc. That's why the list is archived at debian.org.

The bottom line is: if a reasonable post to this goes completely ignored
that's a good indication that no one else knows the answer either!

The more Linux is hyped and spun in the media the more list traffic there will
be. That is also a good reason to to emphasize - reasonably - that folks do
their homework, utilize the archives, and get used to the idea that this is
not plug 'n play. Let me stress again: 'reasonably.'

One list is a bad idea. We need to all muck around together.

--
Bob Bernstein
at

"RMS's "curmudgeon-like" griping that he didn't like the term "Open
Source" looked silly to many last year; it's not looking so dumb
today..." Christopher B. Browne