Re: PPP troubles.....

Koyote wrote:
> >Be careful about following explicit ISP instructions.  Most are
> written
> >for RedHat, and there may be differences.  If you have a URL of the
> >ISP instructions, it may help us to identify where the differences
> are.
>

> Sorry, I thought I had put it in there:
>
> http://support.paonline.com/support/OTHER/LINUX.htm

For step 8, instead of editing /etc/ppp/chat, edit the file
/etc/chatscripts/provider.  Also, I would use the following lines
instead of what they dictate:

TIMEOUT 3
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT VOICE
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
'' \r
'' \r
'' ATZ
OK AT&F1
OK ATDT7175555555
'' \p
TIMOUT 50

For step nine, edit the /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, replacing their
chat line with:

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"

Also, instead of typing "pppd /dev/modem" to start the connection,
just use the "pon" command, which is really just a shell script that
executes "pppd call provider".

This is a more flexible setup and allows you to keep several ISPs at
once and connect to them with just "pppd call <myisp>", where myisp
is just whatever name you want to use to identify the isp ("provider"
in the above example).

HTH,
-Mitch