Re: laser postscript BW printer versus ink jet printer.

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 01:04:09PM -0400, Allan M. Wind wrote:
> > The only reason for having ink jet printer is the color (color laser
> > printers are extremely expensive :-(.
>
> Entry level color laser printers are ~$2k and prices are dropping
> fast.  Just checked pricewatch for the fun of it:
>
> 	HP DeskJet 2000 - ~$500
> 	HP Color LaserJet 4500 - ~$2200
>
> There is still a big quality difference between entry level color
> laser and high end ink jet (IMHO).  Color laser technology has killed
> other high end printing options like "vax" it seems.

But what about their Linux compatibility?

BTW
A few days ago I've checked the HP' www site, looking for operating manual
for my brother's printer, and I've seen the big mark "We support Linux".
(http://www.hp.com/pressrel/apr99/20apr99a.htm)
I hope, there comes the time when the big hardware companies (at least
these ones, which don't rely on M$ financial support or not bound with
different "strange" agreements) will provide Linux support to build up
 their image...

--
			Wojciech Zabolotny
			wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl