Re: Inetd: smtp/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Corey Ralph wrote:

> Try using tcpserver, I have installed it on my qmail server with no problems.
>
> The package is ucspi-tcp-src on slink, no binary package is allowed so you have
> to build it.
>
> On Mon, 17 May 1999, John Pearson wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I receive my mail via uucp and send it to am internal machine
> > via smtp; that means that each time I poll, there are many (30-200)
> > brief smtp connections to my mail spool.

No need to change any software. A simple edit to your inetd.conf will fix
it. The maximum number of connections per second that will be accepted
defaults to 40. You may increase that number. You will notice that there
is a field that has either wait or nowait. You may add a maximum
connection rate to that thusly:

nowait.<number>

So nowait.200 would allow 200 connections per second before complaining.