PHP3 and Mysql -- Broken Module

I'm using the latest Debain versions of PHP3 and the PHPMysql module.
I'm also using the latest version of Mysql. It works fine.

PHP3 seems to work by itself; PHP3 scripts that don't access Mysql
work.

When I try to run a PHP script, I get a message saying

"Call to unsupported or undefined function mysql_connect()"

I've added the mysql module to the PHP configuration, but it's
apparent that it can find a library or something that it needs.

Does anyone have this combination working, or are the the PHP module
for Mysql broken?

Thanks,

JEB