ppp addresses

Using both web (lynx) and ftp (ftp) programs, I have
succeeded in accessing sites using numerical domain
(DNS) addresses, but not using addresses with words.
What's up?  Do I use a different procedure to access
domains numerically than verbally?  According to the
documentation for lynx, the format should be the same.
I am typing
open ftp.xxxxxxx.com
open ftp.xxxxxxx.org
open ftp.xxxxxxx.net
as appropriate in ftp

and
lynx http://www.xxxxxx.com in lynx
I also tried referencing specific documents in lynx
(i.e. lynx http://www.xxxxxx.com/index.html but
evidentally the problem is in finding the server

using the ftp command open 204.123.2.4 to access
anonymous ftp, or using lynx 204.123.2.4, successfully
accessed the specified domain.
Whut's up here?

I have kernel 2.2.something.