Re: Newbie problem

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> I'm trying to run X windows on my computer.  I installed all of the packages
> required for it, but I still have one basic problem: my mouse won't work when
> I first run XF86Setup.  I have gone through every mouse option in XF86Setup,
> applying them all, and none work. I reinstalled my entire system, and it
> still won't work.  What can I do?  I installed all the device drivers related
> to mice that would work...I have no clue as to where I can go from here.  No
> FAQ or HOWTO has anything on this.  I really need help here. Thanks.

Give some more information.

1) What kind of mouse do you have?  (PS/2 or serial)
2) What brand of mouse?
3) What is the setting in XF86Config?  You can get this with:

   [prompt]$ grep -A 8 'Section "Pointer"' /etc/X11/XF86Config

4) What do you have for /dev/mouse?

   [prompt]$ ls -l /dev/mouse

5) Does your mouse work in console mode?  Is gpm installed?

Answer those and we can probably track down your problem.

-Mitch