How do I load CDRom driver?

Hi,
I read your article on command-line arguments at boot time and I was
wondering if you or anyone else
out there could perhaps help me out since you seem to be in the know of
this..
I have installed Debian Linux Version 2.x from floppies. I had no CDRom
Drive at the time of installing.
I bought a Matsushita IDE CDRom. How do I go about telling the kernel
about it.
I tried this, I don't know if it's the right thing to do:
I ran modconf at root, and loaded cdrom module (Common utilities for
CDRom drivers. Loaded
automatically).

So, now how do I access the CDRom drive? Is it /dev/?

Thanks,
Michelle

--
Michelle Maria Coelho