RE: Apt-get (dselect) wants to remove everything, by default

On 15-May-99 Bryan Scaringe wrote:
> Another stupid dselect question:
>
> I have upgraded my system to potato.  Now, whenever I start up dselect,
> (using apt-get, and set to the unstable branch), nearly everything
> is set to "remove" by default.  I'm talking about required stuff
> like "bash" and "tar"!  I know I can go through by hand and fix it,
> but this seems like an ass-backwards way.  If I wanted to remove a
> package,
> I'd have to fix everything by hand or risk trashing damn-near everything
> on my system.  Considering the number of packages, that could take days.

Did you upgrade with 'dist-upgrade' or with some other command?
Even I did not experience anything this bad.  I have a few problems, but I
think apt-get is great.

I did have to manually install a few held back packages for which I did not
have requisite packages installed, though.

I did

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

--