Re: ssh @ pseudo ttys

Ian Keith Setford <ians@jove.acs.unt.edu> writes:

> I just installed a new box but when I try to ssh in I recieve this
> error:
>
> Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty
>
> Thisonly happens with sshas I can telnet in and out with no
> problems.  Anybody know where the problems is?  Or how I can turn
> off the pseudo ttys altogether?

My experience was that I had to recompile my kernels with psuedo-tty
support (this meant that I had to have a new enough kernel).  This was
a fairly aggravating problem for one remote install.  It might be nice
if the preinst warned about this, especially if it can check in /proc
to see if ssh is likely to be hosed after the install.