Re: PPP woes

On Fri, 14 May 1999, William R Pentney wrote:

> A couple of questions.
>
> 1) I have not yet recompiled my Debian kernel. (no lectures,
> please ...)  Is PPP built into the default kernel?
>
> 2) I am having problems getting chat to speak to my modem. It
> simply isn't recognizing it. Is there some configuration I must
> perform before chat will work? Any ideas?

Bill

ppp has not been in default kernels I use. You will need to
recompile a kernel to get ppp either as a module or built into the
kernel. I recommend building it in, but many do not agree. No big
thing, I think.

I seem to recall that nothing about ppp works until you have
kernel support. Try that then see if things will work for you.
I got mine working with difficutly in 0.93 and 1.1, but 2.0 was
much easier. It won't be difficult for you.

Ping the list back if you continue to have problems once you
recompile the kernel. I will try to help you, as many have
helped me.

BTW -- You will find the kernel package easier than bare-handed
kernel recompile. Besides, I am under the impression that there
are some things in the kernel how-to that aren't quite correct.

Will someone else please remark on kernel compiles?

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies:)