Re: sshd

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 08:28:54AM +0200, scratch wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 May 1999, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I do plan on logging into the laptop remotely.  And I don't want to
> > > remove the daemon from the startup...I just don't want it to pause for 5
> > > minutes when there is no network. :)  Why exactly does sshd freeze on
> > > startup, is it trying to do a DNS lookup or something?
> >
> > If I'm right, it's probably generating an RSA key. This is not only done
> > on startup though. OTOH, one would think this would be a background
> > process, and you shouldn't wait for it at bootup.
> >
> > I never noticed such a freeze personally.
>
> Generating the RSA is a background process. I just thought about
> something though, what address do you have it binding to in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config? It should be 0.0.0.0.

Yeah, I don't think that is the cause.  The best suggestion so far has
been that its actually the daemon after ssh that is causing the pause.
(Which might be xntpd...)

And actually, it does seem to be the ntpdate entry in /etc/init.d/xntp3
that is casuing the pause now.  (Although I could have sworn it was
stopping after it printed "Starting Secure Shell server: " before..)