Re: sshd

Quoting Collins M. Ben  (bmc@visi.net):
> On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 12:01:42PM -0400, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:
> >
> > I have Debian running on a laptop that I just purchased, and I have ssh
> > installed.  However, since this is a laptop, its not always connected to
> > the network...is there some easy way to keep sshd from pausing the boot
> > sequence for 5 minutes if there is no network?
>
> If you don't want sshd running at all you can just do:
>
> update-rc.d -f ssh remove
>
> This will remove the links in /etc/rc?.d but leaves the /etc/init.d/ssh
> script. You will need to run `/etc/init.d/ssh start` to start sshd
> manually, but you wont need that unless you plan on logging _into_ the
> laptop.

I don't see why you should want/have to do that. When I boot my home
machine, the following lines are typed about as fast as you can
read them:

Starting anac(h)ronistic cron: anacron.
Starting mouse interface server: gpm.
Starting IP paranoia daemons: tcplogd icmplogd.
Starting printer spooler: lpd.
Checking quotas...done.
Turning on quotas.
Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
Starting Secure Shell server: sshd.
Starting X font sever: xfs.
Starting X TrueType Font Server: xfstt.
Starting base networking daemons: portmap xinetd
Starting /usr/sbin/xntpd...
Starting NFS servers:.
Starting additional networking services:.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
Starting web server: apache.

The only changes I make for not having my ethernet card connected
are the network and gateway entries in /etc/init.d/network
which are commented out (and the commands are IFed).

The key generation on a P5/133 takes 2 seconds according to syslog.

Perhaps you should try running /etc/init.d/ssh by hand and either
run tcpdump so you can log any packets sent out, or strace it and
see what it's just called when it pauses.

Cheers,