Debian on Armada 6500

Hi!

I am trying to install Debian on a Compaq Armada 6500 using FTP and this
far, I haven't had too much luck. The base system installed OK, but I
can't seem to get networking to run (I was planning to use my Slackware
router as a gateway). The builtin Xircom CreditCard isn't recognized at
all (doesn't show up in ifconfig). That seems to be quite normal.
So I borrowed a Kingston EtheRX PCMCIA card. This one shows up as eth0
in ifconfig. But when I try to ping the router, I get the same error
over and over again:

	eth0: pcnet_reset_8390() did not complete.

Does anyone know what could have gone wrong here? I'm running out of
people that I can borrow Ethernet cards from.

TIA,
Juergen