/dev/ttyS1 already in use

Hi,
   I'm having trouble getting my serial line to work on a 486 at home.  It
has a working slackware install on one disk and I'm endeavouring to
install hamm on a new disk.  Whenever I try anything with ttyS1, I'm told
its already in use.  How do I work out what's causing this?
I've checked that it is the modem and not the mouse, and the mouse works
OK (tested using gpm, I don't have X up and running either).

Thanks in advance,
Robert.
----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

          When all's said and done,
                a lot more is said than done.