Re: ppp

wtb writes:

> I edited /etc/init.d/network as follows:
>                !/bin/sh
>                #ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
>                #route add -net 127.0.0.0

Uncomment the 'ifconfig' and 'route' lines.  They have nothing to do wilt
your problem, and you need them.

> Silly me, now Debian is so entrenched in my box that it wont accept the
> lowmem.bin floppy to start the reinstall.  'disk read error' .

A bad floppy.  You should always make several copies.

> Is there a way to get all new files related to ppp, pap, and pon/poff on
> floppies.  --or is there some other way to rebuild this broken ppp thread
> in my machine?

Purge ppp (dpkg --purge ppp) and reinstall it.  I doubt that will help,
though.  What does /etc/ppp/options look like?  Have you tried to use any
of the ppp packages such as kppp or wvdial?  Some of these do weird stuff
to the ppp config files.

Run 'route -n' and post the output.
--
John Hasler