Re: Wierd PPP Problems

Jonathan Guthrie writes:
> If there's something wierd about your setup, then it won't ever connect
> at all no matter how many times you retry.

Not always true.  I've seen two examples of intermittent failures that were
corrected by adding delays in appropriate places in the chat.

> The original poster should contact his ISP (CALL THEM!
> This works best if you can call the dial-in number and talk to support
> simultaneously.  If he can't do that, then he's got the wrong Internet
> provider.

It will no doubt startle you to learn that some of us have only one phone
line (and only one local ISP as well).

> Of course, I have no way of knowing if Mr. Hoover did this, but asking on
> this list about ISP connection difficulties without consulting the ISP
> first is probably not the best way to go.

I'm sure that this is not true of your company, but almost all ISP's would
tell Mr. Hoover "We do not support Linux" and refuse to listen to his
problem.