RE: Shell for gunzip so I don't have to remember?

On 12-May-99 André Bell wrote:
> Is there a good shell for gunzip so I don't have to remember all the
> operators?
>
> I ask because I must be doing something wrong.  When I ungzip <file>.gz the
> system converts my .gz file to one file with no extension instead of
> unzipping the file and all of its contents.
>
> I know there are multiple files in the gzips that I look at because I can
> view all of the compressed files when I view the contents of the gzip file
> on my pc, just not with gzip on linux :(

Is the file name something.tar.gz or something.tgz?  If so try:

tar zxvf something.tar.gz

it should extract the files.  gzip compresses one file usually, tar is used to
make an archive of many files (whereas Windows usually tosses everything in one
.zip).