Re: Shell for gunzip so I don't have to remember?

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 04:56:30PM -0500, André Bell wrote:

> I ask because I must be doing something wrong.  When I ungzip <file>.gz the
> system converts my .gz file to one file with no extension instead of
> unzipping the file and all of its contents.
>
> I know there are multiple files in the gzips that I look at because I can
> view all of the compressed files when I view the contents of the gzip file
> on my pc, just not with gzip on linux :(

A gzip file only contains one file.  Sometimes that one file happens to be a
tar file (ie an archive) in which case you use tar to extract it's contents
after you have unzipped it.  For example:

You start with foo.tar.gz

gunzip foo.tar.gz   		Now you have a file called foo.tar which
				should be much larger than foo.tar.gz was.

tar -xvf foo.tar 		Now all the files are extracted from foo.tar

As others have said, you can do this all in one step with tar -zxvf
foo.tar.gz.

In general, files that end in .tgz or .tar.gz are gziped tar archives while
files that just end in .gz are really just one file.