Re: Off-topic: what is bogoMIPS?

Hans van den Boogert schrieb:

> I understand what MIPS is (Million Instructions per Second), but what does
> the bogo stand for? My 486-33 measures 4 bogoMIPS during Linux boot-up, so
> how is this calculated? -Hans

hello Hans,

the Bogomips-howto may give you further information. It it is not a
benchmark because for different processors and manufacturers it is
calculated with a different formula, so two comparable systems may have
very different bogomips-values. But it is a method for controlling if
your system is optimal configured: Calculate for your processor with the
formula from the howto and compare with the bootmessage.

Bernd Mayer