RE: Beware apt

On 12-May-99 Daniel Mashao wrote:
> Yesterday I had to re-install a lot of packages as my system became
> 'unusable'. The problem began when I tried to fix Star Office after
> upgrading. I think my system was slink/potato but I couldn't tell the
> percentage of each system. Anyway I thought one way to ensure that the
> system works is to put a slink CD and update/upgrade libc6 and all hell
> broke loose. Not that apt did not warm me that it will be uninstalling a
> lot of packages. But I had faith that if I said update libc6 it will leave
> everything in its state and just update. It told me it was going to
> uninstall several applications. Well I thought that did not matter since
> it will install them again. - That how my system died. I finally had to
> rebuild it one app at the time.

Which commands did you use with apt-get?

I used apt-get yesterday and the only problem I had was that it would not
install the final package (there were 20).  I had to download that package
with my browser and install it manually.

I did not use 'apt-get upgrade-dist' though.

--
Andrew

[PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]