Re: update-menus, does it work? UPDATE 2

	Subject: Re: update-menus, does it work? UPDATE 2
	Date: Mon, May 10, 1999 at 01:02:25PM -0400

Quoting Andrew Chung(anderoo@ac111.resnet.cornell.edu):
> > Quoting mguenthe@netcom.ca(mguenthe@netcom.ca):
> > > I don't know if this will help, but I encountered problems myself with
> > > update-menus, being unable to add menu entries for certain packages.  However
> > > I was able to manage a workaround by prefixing the package name with a
> > > "local."  For example:
> > Right!!  I found this out at 2 AM this morning!
> >
> > Two kudos tho, it works here in only /etc/menu or ~/.menu.
> > It doesn't seem to work in /root/.menu.
>
> Just a thought... does your root account have the $HOME env variable set?
> update-menus uses that to find the .menu dir

  Yes echo $HOME
	  /root
> It almost sounds like update-menus isn't reading your packages file
> correctly.. The "local." makes update-menus skip the check on whether the
> package is installed. Apparently it's reading the menu file correctly, but
> it cannot figure out whether the package is installed or not.
>
> Try this:
> dpkg --get-selections|sed -e 's/[ \t]*\\(install\\|hold\\)$//p' | grep "tcd"

tcd                                             install

I no longer have gtcd in /root/.menu
Even when I did the log did not show any
Reading menuentryfiles  in /root/.menu

It did show /etc/menu and /usr/lib/menu entries tho.

BTW Andrew, I tried to update my potato dist last night to see what
the menu program looked like there.  Busted (the distribution).  Can't
connect to the net anymore, its coming up with the error (can't find
/user/.ppprc file.  Haven't got time to troubleshoot it now but I will
soon.

Wayne

--
|  LINUX - Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste..on WinDoze  |
Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com>