Metro-X & Slink

I'm attempting to install Metro-X (metrox) on a fairly virgin Debian
slink box. (I need touch screen & multihead support). The initial set
up has gone well -- i can start the X server -- but the remaining
configuration is stalled. When i try to run  configX ( root running
startx & in the default xterm) i get the following error:

Wcl Error: WcWidgetCreation(configX) - Failed
    Problem: No children could be created from Xrm database.
    Possible: Resource file not found
                perhaps XENVIRONMENT is not set,
                or XAPPLRESDIR not terminated with '/'
    Possible: top level widget in resource file not named 'configX'
Could not get widget: *msg

Metrolink tech support says:

This is caused by a resource being set in some configuration file.  It
could be any global resource file, and this depends on the window
manager/desktop/distribution/setup, so it is not possible to know
exactly
where it is.  The resource is *customization:

There are two possibilities:  One is to find *customization in a
resource
file and comment it out.  The other possibility is to create the
following
link as a work around:

ln -s /usr/lib/X11/Metro/configX/ConfigX
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Metro/configX/ConfigX

Well, the two files already exist. I've fgrep'ed around the entire
/usr/X11R6/, ~/, and /etc/ directory trees looking for the strings
XENVIRONMENT or XAPPLRESDIR and have not found any obvious
configuration set up.

Has anyone done this successfully recently??

Thanks!

judith