Re: problem with .Xauthority files

On 10 May 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> On 10-May-99 John Galt wrote:
> >
> > As root, chown 'em or chmod 666 'em.  Xauthority files are standard issue
> > in X. I have no idea why the perms and/or ownership got fouled up, but
> > chown/chmod is a quick fix.  YMMV but not by much
>
> The problem is that something would change the ownership back to root.root.
> I believe I fixed the problem but I am not yet certain.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Andrew
>
> [PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]

When you get problems with .Xauthority files, you should delete them and
then do xauth-b to rebuild them.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)