update-menus, does it work?

  I am having a few problems with the update-menus program.  I wonder
if anyone else is also.

1.  I removed 2 applications, xfreecd and wmcdplay, using apt-get
remove and then installed tcd and xcdplay.  Altho apt-get ran update-menus
the two removed programs are still in the 'USERS' menu's.  They have
been removed from the roots menu's tho.(?)  Re-runninf update-menus
has not helped the problem.

2.  I guess the maintainer of tcd didn't put the required menus for
the X version of tcd, gtcd, in his package so I am trying to add it.
I have read the /usr/doc/menu/html/index.html, and the README's in
/etc/menu, /etc/menu-methods, and /usr/lib/menu, but still can't get
it working. I have added the following to ~/.menu and /etc/menu

?package(gtcd):needs="x11" icon="none" section="Apps/Sound" \
title="Gtcd" command="/usr/X11R6/bin/gtcd"

but it still doesn't show up in the menu of any user after I run update-menus.
Yet 2 removed apps are still showing up in the Users menu.

The /usr/lib/menu/default/README says to put new entries into
/etc/menu but the /etc/menu/README says that entries in this dir
"override the menu files provided by Debian in /usr/lib/menu and
/usr/lib/menu/default". "New entries" are not the same as "overriding
current entries", or are they?  The html doc says to add user menus in
~/.menu.

The html doc suggests doing "echo -n > ~/.menu/Xfreecd" to remove the
menu entry from the "system menu" in /etc/menu.  Funny, I thought the
system menu was /usr/lib/menu?  I'm really confused now.  Well anyway
that doesn't work either, maybe because xfreecd and wmcdplay are not
in ANY menu file at all!

I hope that I'm the only one having a problem with this.  Maybe it's
because I'm not running KDE.  They seem to like this!  I long for the
old way of changing .fvwmrc to whatever I want it to be.  It made a
lot more sense to me then this does.

Oh, I have tried closing X down and also restarted the WM.  That
didn't help.  As I am running Linux I will not reboot to try the
Microsloth method.

Comments, flames, tips and/or pointers appreciated.

TIA

Wayne

--
Goto, n.:
A programming tool that exists to allow structured programmers to complain