bash functions

to .bash_profile like this
tarc () { tar -cvzf $1.tar.gz $1 }
but whenever I try to source the .bash_profile I get syntax error, unexpected
EOF messages. The article was old and I assume that bash no loger supports
this syntax, I messed around with this quite a bit and can't seem to make it
work. Can anyone offer me advice on this subject? I think these functions
would be quite handy.

--
Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones,
as the wind blows out candles and fans fires.