Re: What is the good tool to debug for segmentation error

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Min Xu wrote:

> I tried that. It gives me:

> Core was generated by `a.out'.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libm.so.6...done.
> Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
> Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
> #0  0x4000a0dd in fixup ()
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x4000a0dd in fixup ()
> #1  0x4000a310 in   ()
> (gdb)
>
> The function fixup() is not in the hoc program. Then where it comes?

Either libm.so.6, libc.so.6, or ld-linux.so.2.

Looking at that, your program never even got off the ground. Most likely
it is using binary incompatible libraries or the executable is corrupted
or something like that. Doesn't look like a programming error to me (but
it could be, it's just a guess).

I would try "make clean" and rebuilding the software from scratch, to be
sure some kind of build error isn't breaking things.

Havoc