Modules after kernel upgrade.

I use Debian 2.1 with kernel 2.0.36.

I baked a new kernel for use with my AWE64 Soundblaster. In the process it
was adviced to rename /lib/modules/2.0.36 to /lib/modules/2.0.36-old before
installing the new kernel package. After intstalling there was a new
/lib/modules/2.0.36 directory, but essential files like ps2aux.o were
missing, making me have to live without a mouse now.

Do I have to bake a new kernel now for these modules to be included and
automatically activated, or can I still remedy the situation afterwards.
Understand the kernel needs to trigger these modules, but how is that
exactly done? With a initiating file maybe? I hope anybody can give some
background apart from a workable solution.

Have a nice weekend.

Hans