Re: LILO

	Subject: Re: LILO
	Date: Fri, May 07, 1999 at 09:41:45AM -0700

Quoting G. Crimp(ye416@freenet.victoria.bc.ca):
> On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 10:00:11AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >

> [snip]
>

> > > # Generated by liloconfig
> > >
> > > # Specifies the boot device
> > > boot=/dev/hda1
> > >

> > boot should be the drive not that partition, ie boot = /dev/hda
> >

> 	What do you mean by "should" ?  I have several computers booting
> from a partition boot record, such as hda1 rather than from the MBR such as
> hda.

You are correct! :-(

Therefore, the LILO boot sector can be stored at the following locations:

  - boot sector of a Linux floppy disk. (/dev/fd0, ...)
  - MBR of the first hard disk. (/dev/hda, /dev/sda, ...)
  - boot sector of a primary Linux file system partition on the first
    hard disk. (/dev/hda1, ...)
  - partition boot sector of an extended partition on the first hard
    disk.  (/dev/hda1, ...)*

I had not read that before.  Had always used the MBR. Humm,  sorry
about that.  Also have not heard/read of any doing it that way.  I
have, again, learned something new.  Thanks!

So do 'you' have an answer for Rahsheen ?  I sure don't.

--
In English, every word can be verbed.  Would that it were so in our
programming languages.