Dead symlinks - where are they coming from?

When I installed the gtk 1.2 packages from the GNOME slink staging area,
I got the following message:

cannot open libgmodule.so: No such file or directory

and likewise for libgtop and libgthread. These are symlinks which point
to nonexistent libraries. There are new versions of the libraries there,
but they don't point to them.

I was advised to reinstall GTK and GNOME, but it didn't work. They're
still there. Might they be causing problems? I don't get any errors, but
GNOME is running very slowly.

- thanks, Bill