Re: diskless box: fanless too ?

Michael Stenner wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, G. Crimp wrote:
>
> >I have been asked to help someone learn about Linux.  So far, I have
> >installed Linux on an existing box.  I must also give advice on new
> >hardware.  One of the concerns this person has, is not having anything
> >spinning in his office.  He currently uses a diskless sparc station, which
> >is apparently also fanless since it is very very quiet.
> >
> >Does anyone know if the same is possible in the ix86 architechture ?  I know
> >I could set him up with a diskless box booting off a server in another room,
> >but could that diskless box also have a fanless powersupply ?  I figure the
> >cpu would still need its fan.  Anyone think that the absence of a fan in a
> >diskless box would cause heating problems ??
>
> Thinking about what the power supply would need to power, if there were
> no moving parts at all, it would just have to feed the mb, chip and
> cards.  That's not tiny, but better than 2 HDs, a CDROM, and a Floppy
> (you could still probably use the cdrom and floppy since they are
> typically used "occasionally")
>
> Were you looking to find a special power supply that didn't have a fan?
> or were you planning on "breaking" a standard power supply?
>
> I disagree that the cpu would need a fan - I used to run a very old P60
> (a REALLY hot chip) without a fan (fan kept breaking...) and it was
> toasty but caused no problems.  If you choose a cpu that runs cool, you
> should be OK.  You can also look into thermoelectric (or Peltier)
> coolers -- no moving parts.

You still have to get the heat (cpu + Peltier device) out of the box.
Even though the cpu will be cool, when using a Pelier device the box
will become quite toasty.  One of the heat pipe devices would be a
better choice.  There you would have a heatsink plate mounted on the
cpu and a tube running out side the case to a heatsink.

> I think with an hour or so of reasearch you should have no trouble with
> a reasonable setup.
>
>                                         -Michael
>
> P.S. I have a Dual PII 400 with something like 4 fans (not counting CPU
> fans) next to my desk.  Sounds like a jet engine... I'm sympathetic
> Then again, how much can you complain about a Dual PII 400?
>
>   Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
>   Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@phy.duke.edu
>   Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305

John C. Ellingboe
www.guntersville.net
begin:          vcard
fn:             John C.  Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW
n:              Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW;John C.
org:            The Guntersville Computer Center
email;internet: john@guntersville.net
title:          Owner/Admin
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE