Re: Linux to VAX

On Tue, 4 May 1999, PATRICK DAHIROC wrote:

> hi there
>
> i'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but i'll ask
> anyways.  i would like to port some Linux/UNIX binary files to a VAX
> machine.  i've read that the integers and floats are very different on
> these machines.  does anybody how make these conversion and/or know where
> i can get more info.  are there libraries that does this conversion that
> is packaged with the Debian dist?  i'm just really at a loss as to where
> to begin.

 Well, I assume you have source code, because "porting" a binary file
doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The main difference you run into along
these lines is what's called "endianness". I'd suggest taking a look at
the following link for more information:

http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/endian_faq.html

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Technically, Windows is an operating system, which means that it
  supplies your computer with the basic commands it needs to suddenly,
  with no warning whatsoever, stop operating." - Dave Barry