finding and using applications

	Suppose you have a Debian Gnu/Linux system set up and fully loaded with
applications.  A new user appears who is going to use the system. The
new user is a unix novice. He/she knows enough basic commands to get
by.
Is there a simple way for that user to find every available application
on the system, what the application does, and how to use it?
 	I really don't think so.  Remember apropos only scans man pages.
Looking in /usr/bin isn't much help for finding a tool to do a specific
job unless you already know about it.  I really believe that any user
should be able to step up to the machine and quickly and easily find if
an application to do what they want is available.  Yes this is available
for many applications, but not for all.
	I believe that this  serious problem, which is an impediment to Linuxes
mass acceptance  could easily be fixed.  Debian should not include
application that are not fully documented ie have manpages, info pages
etc
Also some frontend  appliction for finding applicatons would be helpful
Somethnig based on he code for dselect would probably work fine.
	Please don't suggest that I write it.  I can't.  I am  only commenting
on a feature I would like to see. Please don't ask what type of
applicaton I am looking for so you can help me find it.  I am not
looking for an application.  But I would like to be able, and have any
users be able, to know what applications are available on my system and
how to use them.
	  I would like to be able to get that informantion  exclusivly from my
computer and not depend on this list, irc, usenet, my big pile of tech
books, or any external source.  I am root for heavens sake.
	Strictly from a System administration perspective,  There should be a
simple way for users to know what apps are available to them.  If you
know one please let me know it