DNS time to live & lookup delays...

Hello,

I recently set it up so that my linux box runs the klaradio.com domain.  I
am running my own DNS server off the machine, and I have a few questions:

one of the addresses that I'd like to put under a subdomain of the site
(stream.klaradio.com) has it's IP changed somewhat frequently (once a
month), a guru here at work mention the TTL option in the DNS settings for
the site as being updated more frequently than normal for this so that the
cache files of other servers aren't outdated...since then the guru has
left (*snifff*), and I'm really curiou how to do this....more
specifically, would this change the TTL times of the whole site?  I assume
that it would, as I 've only seen one entry for TTL for a whole zone.

Also, I'm running this over an ADSL line 384/384kbps that usually sees
around 20Kb/s during peak hours...is it normal for there to be a delay of
around 10 seconds for a lookup to be performed by a non-local machine
(heh, go ahead, give it a try :).

thanks !!!
-lev