Re: ? using "make-kpkg" for modules ?

rich wrote:
  >Finally, I have found that to do the steps required to compile the
  >kernel, I need to be root the whole time. I was under the impression
  >that I shouldn't have to be for every step, and that 'fakeroot' should
  >be used for the steps that require root permissions. This didn't work...
  >Although I have compiled several successful kernels (all w/o module
  >support), I have had to do it all as root.

You need to be root to install the kernel, of course, but not to build it.
However, now that you have built it as root, you will have to do so in
the future because the permissions on files created by the last build
will be for root only.

To change this, and make it possible for user "username" to build the
kernel:

 $ su
 # cd /usr/src/linux
 # chmod -R username .
 # exit
 $

     "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them
      that weep."            Romans 12:15