Re: Preventing xdm from starting

Alexandre DEVAURE wrote:

> Well, I think there is a better way but I don't  have a debian system =
> now so the file names can changed.
> In the /etc/X11 directory, in a file named config, you have the line =
> "xdm-start" or "start-xdm". Change it in "no-xdm-start" or =
> "no-start-xdm" or comment out it.
> When the script /etc/init.d/xdm runs, it tests the presence of =
> xdm-start line. If it doesn't find it, it doesn't launch xdm.

>From /usr/doc/xbase/README.Debian on slink:

2) xdm and xfs (among other programs) are now in their own packages.  They
will start automatically on boot if they are installed.  If you do not
desire this, remove the packages before your next reboot.
  dpkg --remove xdm
  dpkg --remove xfs

3) The /etc/X11/config file is no longer used and may be removed.  The
flags in it have been relocated to other files.
  man Xsession.options
  man xdm.options
  man xfs.options