Internet connection

Hi everybody, I'm a brand new user of Linux and I have a very simple
question (for you, but not for me...). I've installed Debian distribution
and when required I've entered my ISP connection data. Now the question is
(don't laugh please): how do I connect to the Internet? I've tried typing
pppon but my modem doesn't seem to care and bash returns with no error
messages. Do I need some specific drivers for my modem, or any particular
module. Othe question: how can I set-up my sound card (SB16 non-PnP)? Thanks
a lot, you'll be my saviour!
     Alessandro Giacomin
     Computer Engineering, University of Padova
     mailto:aleg@email.com --- ICQ:4655913
     http://www.aleg.zzn.com