Re: Installation on an i386 with *only* 40 Mb HDD

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Jose L Gomez Dans wrote:

> 	I'm trying to install debian on an ancient 386, with 8 Mb RAM, and a
> 40Mb Hard Disk. I'm running into problems, as the HDD is *very* small.

 I managed to get Debian on a 386/6MB, but it had two 40MB drives. As
others have advised, you're likely to want to go with something smaller.
Tom's root-boot (http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html) is a good start.
There are links on that page to other "micro-Linux" projects.

 Thanks to its relatively ancient origin, I think Slackware *might* be
shoehorned into a disk that size. That's if you really want a full-fledged
distribution.

 You have a decision to make; is your budget for this project exactly
zero, or do you have some discretionary funds? I can understand
zero-budget (either for financial reasons or sheer mule-headed stubborness
:-> ), but then you'd probably want to find a smaller setup. If you can
spring for a bigger disk (100MB would be ample) then Debian is within your
reach.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "An apple every eight hours keeps three doctors away." - B. Kliban