Re: serial port problems

Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Are you sure setserial sets the IRQs for the ports correctly? setserial can only guess
> the IRQ for a given port but if it isn't the 'standard' value then it will not be
> correct and you won't pass data.
>
> Mark Ewing wrote:
>
> > I am a new Debian user and am having problems getting my modem to work.
> > Setserial finds the ports fine during startup but when I either run
> > minicom or try to start a ppp session there is no response from the
> > modem. I have a USR internal sporster which is not a winmodem, but to
> > be safe i hooked up my old external modem and all i get is that the
> > terminal ready light goes on and stays on...no response to any AT
> > strings.
> > I recently installed slink on an old 486 and have the same problem
> > sometimes, but I assumed it was due to the slow 25sx processor and
> > 16450 uarts, it usually worked after a few minutes after booting. The
> > latest install is on a P2-400 with 16550A uarts so I am stumped. Should
> > I change any of the flags on setserial? I've played around with the
> > skip-test and speed settings with no luck. The internal doesn't work in
> > the 486 either...good thing i tried it as i was plannig on upgrading to
> > a 56k modem for it.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am itching to finish the ftp
> > install and see what Linux can do on a fast machine.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Mark Ewing

I have a USR  sportster internal modem and I have a similar problem. I am new to linux and
I have half of the hard disk for windows 95 and half for Debian. Modem works for windows
but only as non plug-and-play, and the communication programs supplied by USR cannot see
the modem either way. In Debian, setserial informs everything is okay, minicom can reach
modem but AT commands only produce a  0  at the right border of minicom's screen and
a change of  line ; when you try to dial modem goes offhook and keeps that way about a
minute, and nothing more happens. I read in Serial HOWTO that the same thing happened to
the author when there was an IRQ conflict with his modem's serial port. I think there is
no IRQ conflict but in some way I don't understand the IRQ doesn't communicate with the
modem.
The "intelligent dialer" wvdial finds no modem in Debian installation.
  I have Debian 2.0.2, an AX59PRO motherboard with a VIA MVP3 AGP chipset and my modem is
a USR Sportster Voice 33.6 Faxmodem ( product number 117102 ).In windows 95  the modem
behaved the same with an ASUS motherboard. Modem is set with jumpers to ttyS1 ( COM2 ) and
setserial  -a  /dev/ttyS1 informs:
Line1,UART :16550A  Port 0x02F8, IRQ3
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0, closing_wait2:infinte
Flags: spd_normal skip_test session_lock_out
/proc/interrupts did not show any conflicts.

hope have some solution. I am also sending copy to 3COM.
Waiting for your answers.
                                             juan concha
                                             jrconcha@ctcreuna.cl

begin:          vcard