serial port problems

I am a new Debian user and am having problems getting my modem to work.
Setserial finds the ports fine during startup but when I either run
minicom or try to start a ppp session there is no response from the
modem. I have a USR internal sporster which is not a winmodem, but to
be safe i hooked up my old external modem and all i get is that the
terminal ready light goes on and stays on...no response to any AT
strings.
I recently installed slink on an old 486 and have the same problem
sometimes, but I assumed it was due to the slow 25sx processor and
16450 uarts, it usually worked after a few minutes after booting. The
latest install is on a P2-400 with 16550A uarts so I am stumped. Should
I change any of the flags on setserial? I've played around with the
skip-test and speed settings with no luck. The internal doesn't work in
the 486 either...good thing i tried it as i was plannig on upgrading to
a 56k modem for it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am itching to finish the ftp
install and see what Linux can do on a fast machine.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Ewing