dselect has me baffled..

... or I'm just dense today.

I am installing slink from the Cheapbytes 4-CD set. The base package
install went smooth.  I selected the default dialup packages.  However,
when I tried to install it I got a lot of messages scrolling up the
screen that looked like everything was going ok until I got this message
on the bottom line:
"installation script returned error exit status 1"

I have searched through the Debian manual that was included on the CD
set and I have looked through the archives but haven't found an
explanation for this.

Could someone let me know what the problem is and point me to a fix?

TIA

John