Re: IRQ and PS/2

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:07:36AM -0700, Lazar Fleysher wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have run out of IRQs.....
> Well, actually I have one left (IRQ12), but it is reserved for PS/2 bus.
> I do not have a manual for my motherboard, so I do not know how to disable
> the ps/2 bus.

Normally this is set in your system bios.  When you boot the machine you
should see a message that says something like:

"Press ??? to enter setup"

Just do that and follow your nose to where you can enable/disable the ps/2
mouse.

That said, there is a good chance that you can go ahead and just use IRQ 12
without making any changes since there is nothing actually connected, it
shouldn't really interfere with another device using that IRQ.

> I have a regular serial mouse and AT-type (5-pin) keyboard.
> The motherboard also has something called PS/2 mouse header pins. So I
> thought, since I can not disable the ps/2 bus (no manual) I could connect
> somehow a PS-mouse to the computer and free an IRQ from a serial port.

> Could some one suggest how to connect the mouse to these pins, if it is
> possilble. Where can I get the correct adapter?

Whoever you bought the computer should  be able to supply one but in
practice you'll probably end up buying one for a different motherboard and
hoping that it works.  Personally I don't think it's worth the trouble
but...

--
Ray
maillists@sonictech.net