Re: LILO - System.map conflict

Fethi A. Okyar wrote:

[...]
> Now I moved the new kernel to /boot as bzImage.x.y.z and I also
> moved the new System.map to /boot/map.x.y.z. I edited my
> /etc/lilo.conf file so that it has the entries such as

> boot=/boot/map.x.y.z
> linux=/boot/bzImagex.y.z
>
> but what happens each time I run lilo is, it (lil0) destroys the
> new System.map file I just moved there, by replacing it by a much
> smaller file, from where it gets this file I have no idea.
[...]
> Is the map file that is mentioned in lilo.conf not the same file
> as the Syetm.map file, and am I supposed to place the System.map
> file in a special location without lilo's knowledge?

To the best of my knowledge these two files are TOTALLY different.

System.map contains kernel symbols and is used by klogd to display
kernel symbols instead of numerical addresses in case of kernel oopses.
It's also used by "ps", AFAIR. You should copy it to the root directory
or to /boot. (cf. "man klogd")

The map file LILO can make use of contains the layout of the kernel on
your hard drive. I don't know, however, for which exact purpose Linux
uses the map file. On one of my systems I've never used the LILO map
file, and still it's working since 2,5 years.