system shutdown from xdm

In the olden days I worked with a PDP11/44 running Unix.  I did not know
a lot about Unix, but I was trusted to  shut the system down by logging
is as a special user "shutdown".

Now I am playing with my own linux systems, and I want to create a
similar user to give my Wife an easy way to shut down the PC.

I have created the user, and logging in as "shutdown"  from a non-X
console works well. However, now that xdm has been installed I have
problems.

I have made the user "shutdown"'s shell a script which calls the
shutdown command. However xdm does not seem to run this script.

Is the whole idea a bad one?   If not, what am I doing wrong.

Dave Whiteley
d.l.whiteley@ee.leeds.ac.uk