Re: System.map (fwd)

In article <cistron.Pine.SGI.3.91.990427145036.407304A-100000@or219a.e1.iit.edu>,
Fethi A. Okyar <afo@or219a.e1.iit.edu> wrote:

>1.
>DO I need a separate System.map file for each
>kernel that I compile, cause each time it also
>spits out a new System.map file.

Well, things like klogd and ps like to look at the System.map of the
running kernel to be able to convert kernel addresses to symbolic names.

>2.
>If the answer is yes, how do I specify each
>system.map that correspond to their kernel in
>my lilo.conf file (i.e how are they supposed to
>be stored??)

You don't specify them in lilo.conf - just put them in /boot/System.map-VER
eg /boot/System.map-2.2.6

Usually, I put my kernels in /boot/vmlinuz-VER and the System.map file
that goes with it in /boot/System.map-VER

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?