Re: kernel 2.2.6

It is because on i386 machines the processor boots in real
mode, which is limited to the (in)famous 640Kb.  The kernel
can be copied starting at address 0x10000, which takes
the available space down to 576Kb, then I think there must
be 64Kb used at the other end, hence the 512Kb
as a pose to 640Kb.
The zImage has to fit into this in its compressed form,
with some space being reserved for decompression when the
processor is in protected mode.
	The bzImage copies the kernel setup into conventional
memory, but puts anything left over into higher.  It then
uses the bios to copy over 64Kb chunks when needed, so
it doesn't run out of memory.  The theoretical maximum size
for a bzImage is 2Gb, although in pracice it is limited by
the amount of memory.

		Peter Allen